I

Background

Sunday, July 17, 2016

Interesting Research

I recently read about a new online survey of 2,000 unchurched Americans from Nashville-based LifeWay Research. The survey,  found more than half of Americans who don’t go to church identify as Christians. I choose to see that as encouraging. The results of this survey indicate that talking about faith is not taboo. I am very encouraged by that. According to the survey, Americans who don’t go to church are happy to talk about religion and often think about the meaning of life. They are open to taking part in community service events hosted at churches or even going to a church concert. About one third said they'd to to a worship service if invited by a friend. One third of 2,000 is 666.6, which is kind of a creepy number so let's just round up to 675. I know that is less than half, but I choose to look at 675 as a lot of people that could be reached if we just extend an invitation.

"What do you think? If a man owns a hundred sheep, and one of them wanders away, will he not leave the ninety-nine on the hills and go to look for the one that wandered off? Matthew 18:12


Christ was happy to save the one sheep, there are 675 people out there who indicated they would come to a worship service if invited by a friend. You know what? I'm going to invite some people to church!