I

Background

Monday, January 7, 2019

Prayer Journals


I came across a web site this week that really inspired me to be more organized in my prayer life. Courtney Joseph, who has spoken with Lysa TerKeurst at Proverbs 31 Ministries, wrote about her prayer journal. I've never been one to journal much and I pray every day, but after reading Courtney's article, I realized that the spiritual discipline of journaling would help me a great deal. I too, crave order so anything color coded, or lists, plans, or schedules appeals to me! Yes, I've read about keeping a prayer journal before, but something about this approach really spoke to me. I thought I'd share in case you found it helpful too. I've adjusted the topics I'll use a bit to suit my needs. You'll find them below. I'm doing the first three every day, and 4-5 when I am inspired to do so.

If you'd like to read  Courtney 's article, you can find it here: https://womenlivingwell.org/2013/02/putting-my-prayer-life-in-order/ She has some printables to share that you may be interested in as well.

1. Prayers - Can be in list form or sometimes write out entire prayers.

2. Confessions - Confession of sins, which can be just brief phrases.

3. Praises - Again, these can be in list form or sometimes write out entire prayers of           thanksgiving.

4. Quotes and Ideas of Inspiration - Quotes or ideas that have touched my soul.

5. Scripture - I will sometimes use the SOAK method for the scripture. It's an inductive reasoning method, like Anne Graham Lotz and our own Rev. McClendon use.
S – Scripture.
O – Observations.
A – Applications.
K – Kneeling in Prayer.