I

Background

Thursday, April 9, 2020

Philippians Bible Study Lesson 2


This week's lesson, Philippians 1:12-26. Video Session #2 
https://www.rightnowmedia.org/Content/Series/368582

I've always had this picture in my head of how Paul looked. He was strong and tough, about 40, with no beard. His looks belied his great kindness and the innate love for Jesus. I've always thought of him as a gentle soul filled with patience. Oh! I've pretty much just described my Daddy! So imagine my surprise to see artist's renderings of Paul of Tarsus. He's much older and more frail than my Paul, and he as a beard. So that got me wondering if I could uncover more information about Paul that would give clues to his appearance.

What did I really know about Paul? I looked him up and was surprised to learn how my perception of him was kind of one dimensional. He was much more than that kind man in my mind's eye. He was intelligent and articulate and committed to his calling. He was trained as a Pharisee, learned the tent-making trade, so he must have been strong and fit. He was a couple of years younger than Jesus, so he wasn't old and frail I'd always thought while picturing him in my minds' eye. But, in reality, he died in 67 A.D., so he was in his 60's at that point. In Acts 23, there's a mention of his father who was a Pharisee. In Romans 1:11, he writes, “I am an Israelite myself, a descendant of Abraham, from the tribe of Benjamin.” We know that Benjamin was the second son of Rachel and Jacob. Some scholars think he was named after King Saul, a distant relative, since Paul came from a devout Jewish family and was of the lineage of Benjamin.

It’s likely that Paul was beheaded by Nero, and that the burning of Rome had something to do with it. While the Bible does not say specifically when and how Paul died. We know that 2nd Timothy was written while Paul was in a Roman prison from 66-67 AD—not long after the burning of Rome. We also know that during this time Paul was expecting death: “For I am already being poured out like a drink offering, and the time for my departure is near. I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.” (2 Timothy 4:6-8). Eusbius, an early church historian wrote that the emperor Nero ordered Paul's beheading.

When did Paul's name change from Saul to Paul? From the International Bible Society, Biblica, I learned that after his conversion on the road to Damascus, he was called Paul by the Holy Spirit and others. Then in Acts 13:9, as he is getting ready to launch his ministry to mostly Greek-speaking Gentiles, we read these words: “Then Saul, who was also called Paul…” After that, Luke, continues to call him Paul. Some scholars say that “Saul” is his Hebrew name, while as a Roman citizen he also used the biblical Greek name of Paul. It wasn't uncommon for people in that time to have two names. The theory is that Luke began calling him Paul” because that would be the more familiar name to the Gentiles to which they were ministering.

So, my new version of Paul has greatly expanded. In the end, he was older and certainly more frail, but much wiser too. He is someone I would like to meet. I'm sure he would greet me with a great big ole' hug and a smile.

  1. What issue does Paul surface in 1:15-17 about some of the preachers in Philipi?
  2. What do you think your response would be if you heard about someone's selfish motives for sharing the gospel? What was Paul's point of view?

I know that Paul grew to be an old man, but in my mind he will forever be like the first two pictures.