I

Background

Wednesday, March 9, 2022

Social Pain

 I recently became aware of the term Social Pain in a couple different places: Psychology Today, HealthLine, and in the book, Where Do We Go From Here by David Jeremiah. Neuroscientists in Italy have discovered that “social pain” activates the same brain regions as physical pain. The researchers also found that witnessing the social pain of another person activated a similar physical pain response of empathy in most test subjects.

The COVID 19 pandemic exacerbated the problem, taking people from the workplace and schools and forcing them to live in isolation. However, Dr. Jeremiah says that the root cause of disconnection is spiritual in nature, and I whole-heartedly agree. When we are disconnected from God, we don't have the love, peace, joy, kindness or patience to show others. He says we become isolated in our self-centeredness.

Our society is suffering from social pain which involves painful emotions caused by situations involving other people, such as feeling rejected, devalued, alone, ostracized, abandoned or disconnected. Satan surely has a hand in this and we can combat it through prayer, Bible Reading and staying in touch with others. Making a phone call, sending a note or a card of encouragement to someone going through a rough time is a tangible way to combat Social Pain and extend our love to others.


"Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand." Isaiah 41:10