I

Background

Monday, February 5, 2024

Christian Fiction Recommendations

 I have two books to recommend for you today. First let me share about my love for reading. I loved books from the moment I first learned to read. I read everything I could get my hands on, even Mom's old 1929 encyclopedias!! Lol 

My favorite days were when Mom would drive me into town to go to the library. Mom soon decided I needed more, so she signed up to get books in the mail. My love affair with books never waned. I read 4-5 books a week... Seriously. So, when a serious book lover tells you a book is awesome, you need to read it! 😉

The first one is Candle in the Darkness by Lynn Austin. 

The historical fiction is set during the civil war. The protagonist is a southern woman who abhors slavery. Her friendship with her family's slaves is deep and oh so endearing. The faith of one slave in particular was so profound for a slave who wasn't allowed to learn to read and write. He shared it freely with those he came in contact with. 


While We're Far Apart by Lynn Austin

Another historical fiction, this book is set during World War Two. This is such a rich story, again faith plays an integral part of the lives of the characters, Christian and Jewish. The friendships forged during this time of war are precious and aid the characters in weathering the storms that the war has brought into their lives. A Jewish man's lack of faith is restored as he helps two young children who's father is away in the military. The interweaving of Jewish and Christian faiths is expertly crafted in this story.