I

Background

Sunday, January 22, 2017

The Mind of Christ and Guidance of the Holy Spirit


I find that lately I need a refresher, a reminder of the work the Holy Spirit does within me and that I have the mind of Christ. I found what I needed in 1 Corinthians 2:6-16.
In verse 16, Paul makes a statement concerning all believers: “We have the mind of Christ.” Having the mind of Christ means sharing the plan, purpose, and perspective of Christ, and it is something that all believers possess. What a comfort it is to know that God is sharing part of himself with me, that his indwelling allows me this look into his mind.

Verses 10-12, tell us that the mind of Christ is given to all believers through the Holy Spirit. “These are the things God has revealed to us by his Spirit. The Spirit searches all things, even the deep things of God. For who knows a person’s thoughts except their own spirit within them? In the same way no one knows the thoughts of God except the Spirit of God. What we have received is not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, so that we may understand what God has freely given us.” Having the mind of Christ means we understand God’s plan in the world. It means we identify with Christ’s purpose and that we share Jesus’ perspective of humility and obedience compassion, and prayerful dependence on God. This is what we are to go about doing in our daily lives. We do it not to be saved or to earn better esteem from God, we do it because we have the mind of Christ, because of our great love for Him.

Verses 5-6 tell us that our faith must not rest on human wisdom, but on God’s power. That gives me great relief, because I sure don’t want to rely on my measly wisdom!
Verses 14-15 tell us that the mind of Christ cannot be understood by those without the Spirit and that it gives believers discernment in spiritual matters. Even in the midst of troubles I have this discernment, I just need to remember to call upon it, to ask for guidance and be patient with God as he works to give me answers.

I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship. Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect. Romans 12:1-2
As believers we have a responsibility to follow to the Spirit’s leading and to allow the Spirit to transform and renew our minds. So having the mind of Christ is not a once and down type of thing. He doesn’t just pour it on us the moment we accept Christ. We continually develop the mind of Christ, and work to gain more understanding and wisdom.

When I need refreshing, a reminder, of the Holy Spirit’s work within me, I will remind myself that the Holy Spirit indwells and enlightens believers, infusing them with wisdom—the mind of Christ.


“Who has known the mind of the Lord so as to instruct him?” But we have the mind of Christ."