I

Background

Monday, February 13, 2017

Idols and Bad Habits

Do you have difficulty overcoming some idol that competes with the time you spend with God? Or perhaps you are struggling to overcome procrastination, irresponsibility, bitterness, worry, jealousy etc. Just this week I have seen this topic come up on a blog and in one of Charles Stanley's sermons. Both people had the same basic answer for dealing with sins in your life and it is astonishingly simple. Look for Scriptures dealing with the sin you are struggling with. One source suggested writing the Scriptures down on index cards and go over them 2-3 times a day. Rev. Stanley suggests praying with the scriptures you find.

Here are the scriptures that I'm going to use in my quest for eating healthy and losing weight. 

Therefore, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.
1 Corinthians 10:31

Or do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and you are not your own? For you were bought at a price; therefore glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God’s. 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

I say then: Walk in the Spirit, and you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh. Galatians 5:16

Everything you say or do should be done in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him. Colossians 3:17

Don’t you realize that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit, who lives in you and was given to you by God? You do not belong to yourself, for God bought you with a high price. So you must honor God with your body. 1 Corinthians 6:19–20

Don’t you know that you are God’s temple and that God’s Spirit lives in you? 1 Corinthians 3:16

I can do all things through him who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
The LORD is my strength and shield. I trust him with all my heart. He helps me, and my heart is filled with joy. I burst out in songs of thanksgiving. Psalm 28:7

The LORD says, “I will guide you along the best pathway for your life. I will advise you and watch over you. Psalm 32:8

Those who are dominated by the sinful nature think about sinful things, but those who are controlled by the Holy Spirit think about things that please the Spirit. Romans 8:5

It trains us to renounce ungodly living and worldly passions so that we might live sensible, honest, and godly lives in the present age. Titus 2:1

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. Against such things there is no law. Galatians 5:22-23
So I say, let the Holy Spirit guide your lives. Then you won’t be doing what your sinful nature craves. Galatians 5:16

Therefore I exhort you, brothers and sisters, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a sacrifice–alive, holy, and pleasing to God–which is your reasonable service. Romans 12:1


For bodily exercise profits a little, but godliness is profitable for all things, having a promise of the life that now is and of that which is to come. 1 Timothy 4