I

Background

Thursday, April 25, 2019

Making Prayers Fresh and New


While listening to Christian radio today, I heard Dr. Edwin Lutzer talk about how we need to renew our minds on how to pray. He mentioned how little time most Christians spend in prayer and the reasons behind the lack of time spent in prayer. Many feel that prayer is boring and that we just keep repeating ourselves, that not much is accomplished.

Lutzer then outlined a method of prayer that really hit home with me, as it involves praying with scripture! We've been talking about this in Bible Study and even discussed compiling various scriptures to use in prayer. Rev. Lutzer told of George Muller who lived in England in the 1800's. He was a Christian evangelist and the director of an orphanage. Muller's devotional life included God's word and meditating on it. He did this each morning upon waking up and by breakfast his mind was in a peaceful, happy place.

Turning the Word into prayer includes ACTS, adoration, contrition, thanksgiving, supplication. Using scripture in prayer ensures:
  1. You'll never have to say the same ole' prayer about the same ole' things. Always fresh, always new.
  2. God will respond, you can interact with God. He can say something and you can say something.
  3. Your soul will be satisfied

An Example With Psalm 23 the red print is an example of what type of thing you could add.

The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.
Oh Father, I want to thank you today that Jesus is my Shepherd. Thank you for the privilege of being one of your sheep. I pray that you will make me an obedient sheep. Oh God, make me a good shepherd of the the people that you have entrusted into my care. I'd like to pray for other shepherds in my church.

He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.
Father I pray today that you might enable me to be led beside quiet waters, may my soul rest in you, Lord, satisfy my soul with you.

He restoreth my soul:
Lord, I know that so often I am prone to wander. I feel prone to leave the God I love, oh Lord restore me.

he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
Keep me in the path walking righteously. Guide me along the path you would have me follow, not the path the world follows.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me;
Lord, help me feel your presence daily as I walk in the world's shadows. Help me not to fear troubles I encounter.

thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
Jesus, you are my shepherd, please help me feel your love and comfort. I love you for providing comfort in this world of trouble.

Thou prepareth a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.
My cup is not just full but runs over with joy at the prospect of what you have prepared for me in heaven

Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.
Lord, as a believer, I know that you will guide and protect me here in earth and when I live in perfect goodness with you in heaven. I'm so thankful to have you with me on my journey through life.